Thursday, October 7, 2010

Genre selecting

I love comedy, drama, and some romance.  While I really enjoyed some comedians books (like Dave Berry, Bill Cosby et al.) they are more exaggerated non-fiction than fiction.   Not something I would like to write or have the talent to.  But mixing up comedy, drama and romance seems good for a story.  Keep the reader entertained. Another piece of literature I like are story of morals as in like Aesop's Fables.  Driving home a point or an idea is very attractive.

Two genres in particular are attractive to me, science-fiction and murder-mystery.  I guess because the ideas of exploration and investigation are almost synonymous, and curiosity is a great hook.

Of course great stories of Star Trek, Space 1999, Flash Gordon, Battlestar Galactica (old and new), Star Gate, Star Wars are great influences.  They provide a range of story telling styles form the old single plots to the modern multi-plot stories.

Needless to say my favorite genre is actually sci-fi.  So that's what I'm currently writing in.  But mixing up stuff seems like fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment